A new CAT B office space design in a city centre location in Brighton for a growing international events company. Lisa Moss Design were the designers, providing the concept design, full set of drawings & scope of works, obtaining landlord approval and working closely with Rocket Projects who delivered the high quality fit out on a tight schedule, achieving a pre Christmas move-in date for a delighted client.
Rethink Events needed a larger office to grow into and asked for 2 or 3 meeting rooms, a breakout area, an extended teapoint, branded elements & signage, modern with clean lines and pops of colour, plants, plenty of storage and keeping it open and light. We delivered a bold contemporary concept design, honed the spatial planning and came up with fresh ideas to create a smoothly functioning office:
- a floor box layout that works with the current 30 desks and the future 42+desks
- a folding acoustic whiteboard wall that gives a flexible 2-3 meeting rooms
- reconfigured air-conditioning, power points, fire sensors and entry system to work with the new layout
- innovative acoustic pendant lights in the meeting rooms
- retained open-plan feel and lots of natural light with glazed meeting room screens and shelving screens rather than solid walls
- breakout screen/shelves with planters and storage
- a full height branded screen to improve the entrance area (and to hide any washing up!)
- an additional teapoint bench with bar stools
- a storage wall with built-in Comms cupboard
- a mix of seating styles and working/meeting/break areas, including an 18+ seat breakout space and sit/stand desks, to help create a healthy, flexible, collaborative working environment
We branded the office in an interesting way including column wraps and used a coloured wall and feature signage to turn a potentially awkward circulation lobby into a striking entrance. Taking the brand colour purple, we added secondary colours of gold and teal and used these on feature walls columns and for chair upholstery - visually dynamic elements within a neutral foundation palette of white, grey and black. We also incorporated a hexagon motif (already used in company literature, suggesting interconnected harmony & efficiency) for a feature wall and shelving.
We introduced a subtle touch of industrial style with the full height black framed meeting room screens. The commercial grade office furniture features a considered mix of oak and black metal legs/bases, white laminate tops with polished MDF edges, and warm felt upholstery fabrics in brand colours. We used luxury vinyl looselay planks for the breakout/entrance area and two shades of contemporary carpet tiles for the general office and meeting rooms. To ensure the client was comfortable with the product choices, we visited the relevant Clerkenwell showrooms together to test out the proposed chairs and see the carpets installed rather than simply as images or small samples. We added lots of real plants to improve the air, acoustics and well- being, and suggested and sourced a regular plant watering/maintenance service to keep the plants looking their best.
We really enjoyed this project and are very proud of the results and the positive feedback from the staff.
"Lisa managed to transform an empty shell into a vibrant workspace, meeting the practical needs of our team, but going far beyond our expectations in terms of design, with clever references to our brand and values, and high-quality fixtures and furniture.
From first concept through to final delivery, Lisa took time to understand our needs, and to work with us to create an office space that will enable our team to flourish, and to attract new talent. The completed project is a light-filled, open-plan office with private meeting rooms, a comfortable breakout space, intelligent storage, plenty of greenery and great use of our brand colours.
Working within a tight schedule, Lisa was fast, responsive and flexible, she worked closely and effectively with our main contractor, securing landlord as well as statutory approvals, and managed a wide range of suppliers to ensure the project was delivered on time and budget."
Jennie Moss, Managing Director, Rethink Events Ltd